Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Coconut Delight

I’ve been trying on some recipes these few weeks, as if i’ve got nothing to do ;). From the previously successful ‘kuih ketayap’ to the challenging currypuff ;), I even ventured into making ‘cendol’ which erm has ye to reach a happy ending. Isk, I did that for my anniversary using all ‘means’ and it end up in the dustbin! Allahumma yassir. Nevertheless, I knew what went wrong if I’m about to try it again.

Been ‘thinking’ of Coconut Candy (Candy Kelapa) lately. I remembered having them most of the time in the fridge - made by Mama herself but she can’t recall the recipe now it has been so long since she last made them. Anyway, when I was making ‘inti kelapa’ for ‘kuih ketayap’ last time, I noticed a recipe at the back of East End’s Desiccated Coconut pack - Coconut Delight. I thought it’ll be great to try, even if it won’t equal the Malay Coconut Candy, I should at least feel delighted by its taste … well, the name says so ey? ;)

The trial was successful and I should say it tastes just like coconut candy but the texture is a bit soft and moist. There’s a ‘missing’ taste an dI don’t know what. For now, this is the recipe copied from the pack. Help yourselves folks!

COCONUT DELIGHT

200ml/7 fl oz milk

50g/2 oz East End margarine

375g/13 0z sugar

350g/12 oz East End Desiccated Coconut

1 teaspoon ground East End Green Cardamoms

Lightly grease a medium size shalow baking pan or sheet. In a large saucepan, bring the milk and margarine to the boil over a medium heat. Stir in the sugar, desiccated coconut and cardamom, stirring constantly for 6-8 minutes until the coconut becomes thick and glazed. Remove from the heat and pour into the baking pan. Cool, cut into squares and serve.

* I didn’t use all East End’s products except for the desiccated coconut. In fact, I used butter instead of margarine and exchange ground cardamoms with vanilla essence because I simply know abuhandzalah and the little boy won’t like it. Any other ideas?

2 comments:

Ailurophiles said...

do you know the amount of calories in one kuih ketayap?

Anonymous said...

salam...

I have yet to post the recipe for the coconut candy on my food blog. But I think the missing igredient is vanilla essence. :) InsyaAllah I'll post it and you can try again. My kids loved it.